June 2012 to August 2012: Metro Intern
Covering general assignments for newspaper’s Metro desk.
June 2012 to August 2012: Politics Intern
Covering national politics and Congress for the DC bureau.
June 2012 to December 2012: Online Managing Editor
March 2012 to Present: Web Editor
September 2011 to December 2011: City Desk Editor
March 2011 to June 2011: Assistant City Desk Editor
September 2010 to March 2011: Staff Writer, Copy Editor and Layout Designer
Most recently oversaw newspaper’s transition to WordPress. Previously led publication’s first Web desk, standardizing procedures for breaking news and social media presence. Formerly led 15 writers and two assistant editors at City news desk, Evanston’s only daily news source. Have written more than 200 stories for City, Campus and In Focus (investigative) news desks since joining freshman year. Original reporting has been spotlighted by the New York Post, CNN Headline News, MSNBC, USA Today, as well as linked to by The New York Times and Newsweek.
January 2012 to March 2012: National Security Reporter
Covering national security beat for mobile- and multimedia-oriented newsroom based on Capitol Hill.
January 2012 to February 2012: Freelance Contributor
Wrote several profiles of local businesses for newspaper’s special section.
December 2011: Metro Reporter
Wrote more than 20 stories over two weeks filling in for various beats, including local government and crime, as a temporary Metro desk reporter.
June 2011 to September 2011: Eugene S. Pulliam Foundation Intern
Wrote more than 90 stories over three months as general assignment intern selected by the Hoosier State Press Association’s Pulliam internship program.
October 2010 to June 2011: Freelance Contributor
Profiled prominent community figures during site’s first year on the Patch network. Covered hyperlocal issues including long-delayed construction along village’s main road and fire department budget cuts.
September 2010 to January 2011: Freshman Columnist and Features Writer
Wrote technology-oriented features for quarterly print edition and monthly column chronicling college freshman experience for online edition.
August 2009 to December 2009: General Assignment Intern
Wrote more than 30 stories for various beats during a semester part of high school’s intern-student pilot program. Typically handled all photography accompanying stories.
- Graduation Date: June 2014
- Expected Majors: Journalism and political science
- Current GPA: 3.423
Homestead High School, Fort Wayne, Ind.
- August 2006 to June 2010
- Core 40 Academic Honors Diploma
- Cumulative GPA: 3.710 (unweighted)
- Proficient in: Adobe Photoshop CS5, Adobe InDesign CS5, Adobe Illustrator CS5, Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, Apple iLife suite, Microsoft Office suite, AP style, video production, WordPress content management system, social media (Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook)
- Experience with: Audio Audition CS5, Audacity, audio production, Adobe Flash CS5, basic HTML/CSS code
- Finalist (Region 5 – Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky), 2011 Mark of Excellence Awards, Society of Professional Journalists
- Second Place, Feature Story (Dailies), Awards for Excellence in Illinois College Newspapers (2011)
- Seventh Place, Feature Writing, Hearst Journalism Awards Program (Fall 2011)
- Honorable Mention, Design of the Year – Infographic, National Scholastic Press Association (2010)
- Recipient, Sterling Sentinel Scholarship, The News-Sentinel (2010)
- Superior, Newswriting, Journalism Education Association/National Press Association (Spring 2010)
- Superior, Newswriting, Journalism Education Association/National Press Association Write-Offs (Fall 2009)
Available upon request (See resume).